If you are the individual(s) considering to sell or buy your home without a Professional Real Estate Broker/Agent then this is an absolute must read!!!!
Real Estate brokers and agents occasionally come across the misinformed or sour homeowner/buyer aiming to sell or purchase what most likely will be their biggest asset without the services of a seasoned professional. This decision is made because either themselves, a friend, family member, neighbor, or colleague has had the misfortunate experience of dealing with what I refer to as The Lazy Broker. As a Professional Realtor I understand as I often come across The Lazy Broker, but through proper screening you can avoid The Lazy Broker andreap the benefits of a true hardworking professional.
Through this blog my intention is to share some of the benefits and reasons why it is essential to have a licensed professional working for or with you. This blog will give you the knowledge on how to avoid and/or recognize The Lazy Broker. This read will also be beneficial to fellow Real Estate professionals for tips on how to separate yourself from The Lazy Broker.
Reasons To Hire A Professional Real Estate Listing Broker/Agent To Sell Your Home:
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent has the proper tools, knowledge, and resources needed to effectively market your home in all avenues including internet presence/digital marketing (not just Zillow and Trulia), print advertisement, professional photography and videography, etc…
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent knows the price the property should be listed and sold at based on a thorough comparative market analysis and being attuned with the current market.
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent is knowledgeable and/or takes the time to understand zoning, open permits, illegal structures, and what is permitted on your home or parcel of land.
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent is experienced and not emotionally invested in the home during negotiations so he or she can recognize a sound offer while effortlessly establishing a meeting of the minds.
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent makes themselves available to show your home or respond to inquiries within a short time period vs the property being limited solely on the sellers work/life schedule.
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent has already obtained the skills needed to adapt to different personalities which is essential to establishing a comfort to a potential buyer considering making an offer on the subjected property.
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent has a list of referrals for the seller such as Real Estate Attorneys, Inspectors, Contractors, Mortgage Brokers/Lenders, etc… that can save time, money, and frustration.
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent is familiar with the process of selling a home which informs the seller on what to expect and help prevent any unreasonable delays.
- A Professional Listing Broker/Agent acts accordingly and puts their personal opinions or emotions aside to best represent their client and their client’s property. A professional never kills a deal due to a hurt ego or negative comment about the listed property.
- Often times potential buyers feel uncomfortable directly requesting to view a home by owner or even presenting an offer that is below asking that unknowingly the seller could possibly accept.
- Without the services of a Professional Real Estate Broker to sell one’s home the homeowner limits their home’s exposure on the market. Furthermore, placing a home on the market as “For Sale By Owner” may not be inviting to brokers or agents that have ready and willing buyers due to the absence of a contracted commission earned unless publicly stated.
The Lazy Broker:
- The Lazy Broker can also be referred to as The Lockbox Broker. This is a Listing Broker/Agent that makes no effort to be at private showings and mainly utilizes a lockbox or provides a key from their office for other Real Estate Brokers/Agents to show their listing. More than often The Lockbox Broker has the seller personally show the house. Basically unless it is a direct customer, The Lock Box Broker does not personally show the house.
- The Lazy Broker uses low quality photos of the listed home-Ways to recognize unprofessional photos include poor lighting, pictures appear to be taken from a phone, crooked shots, and my two favorites- part of a finger on the lens showing and the reflection of the person photographing in mirror (usually bathroom Vanities).
- The Lazy Broker rarely hosts Open Houses- Open Houses should be at the minimum 4 times a month and the actual agent that you signed the exclusive with should be present at least 50% of the open houses.
- The Lazy Broker never has lights on in each room of the house for Open Houses or Showings.
- The Lazy Broker never provides feedback for an open house or showing.
- If you always have to leave a message for your Listing Broker/Agent and they usually take more than 5 hours to get back to you than unfortunately you have hired The Lazy Broker (obviously things come up but always waiting hours for a call back from your Broker should not be the norm). You should expect your broker to answer your phone majority of the time you call them and they should typically call back your missed call within a 2 hour grace period.
Reasons to Hire a Professional Real Estate Agent/Broker to help buy your dream home:
There are many reasons to hire a Professional Real Estate Broker/Agent as a customer (Sellers Agent) as well as a client (Buyers Agent) these are some key points why it is better than working alone.
- A Professional Buyers Agent and Sellers Agent have the essential tools to effectively search for a buyer’s future home based on their preferences, “must haves”, desired location, and budget which saves time and frustration. A Professional Buyers Agent and Sellers Agent may also suggest other locations and help narrow their criteria which could result in a bigger selection of homes sometimes available at a lower asking price.
- A Professional Buyers Agent and Sellers Agent is knowledgeable or takes the time to understand zoning, open permits, illegal structures, and what is permitted on the home or parcel of land their customer or client is considering.
- If a buyer is out of state or unfamiliar with the area a Professional Real Estate Agent is an absolute must so they can give a general idea of price ranges, help understand the market, and familiarize them with local stores, restaurants, municipalities, etc…
- A Professional Buyers Agent and Sellers Agent handle all the scheduling which entails multiple calls to the listing broker, structurally organizing show times, and providing written material about the subjected properties.
- A Professional Buyers Agent knows the price at what the home should be sold based on a thorough comparative market analysis and then discusses with their client the offer before presenting.
- A Professional Buyers Agents is experienced in negotiations and not emotionally invested in the home which allows the home to be purchased at a price either at or below market value. A Professional Buyers Agent may help prevent their client from overpaying prior to going into contract (in the end, market value is what the buyer and seller agree within reason; a buyers agent knows the “within reason”)
- A Professional Buyers Agent and Sellers Agent make themselves available to show homes so that the buyer or client will not be limited solely on the sellers or The Lazy Broker schedule.
- A Professional Buyers Agent and Sellers Agent have the skills needed to adapt to different personalities which is essential to establishing a meeting of the minds.
- A Seasoned Professional Buyers Agent can provide a list of referrals for their client such as Real Estate Attorney, Inspectors, Contractors, Mortgage Brokers/Lenders, etc… that can save time, money, and frustration.
- A Professional Buyers Agent and Sellers Agent are familiar with the process of selling a home which informs their clients or buyers on what to expect and help prevent any unreasonable delays.
- A professional Buyers Agent or Sellers Agent acts accordingly while putting their personal opinions or emotions aside and will never kill a deal due to a hurt ego.
I hope you enjoyed and felt that it was a beneficial read and now understand why it is wiser to receive services from a seasoned professional and how to recognize The Lazy Broker.